Friday, March 16, 2012

Reader's Choice Awards For... Knitting!

The knitting world is pretty amazing. Through the course of my knitting journey it's been exciting to see the digital age transform something as basic as knitting - because really folks let's get real, it's 2 sticks and a piece of string, granted it's pretty sticks and string but still, not very technological items.  

I love the simplicity of knitting, but I also love how digital media has allowed us to share our creativity through the blogs and websites.  No matter how hard I try, I can't keep up with everything that's going on and I'm okay with that because I'll never be lacking inspiration.

One of my favorite knitters and source of crafty inspiration is Susan B. Anderson.  I discovered Susan in 2006 through David Reidy's Sticks & String Podcast, appropriately dubbed as a podcast by an Australian bloke who knits.  In one of his early episodes he did a book review of Susan's Itty Bitty Hats and shared that he was knitting the adorable Little Pumpkin from this book.  Of course, I had to get my own copy of this book immediately. 


This is our Little Pumpkin and one of the first shop samples at Firefly Fibers.


Through Sticks & String I found Susan's blog and I've been following her ever since.  She has an amazing writing style and shares so much, both knitterly and personally, that she holds a special place in many knitters' hearts.

Since 2006, knitting has exploded on the internet with the blogs and websites.  About.com has noticed and they are hosting a poll for the Favorite Knitting Blogger/Website Readers' Choice Awards and Susan B. Anderson's blog has been nominated.  Susan recently called her blog "little", but it's not so "little" being that she is currently in 1st place!  

Also nominated are the Yarn Harlot, Ravelry (the entire site), Knitty (again, the entire site) and Yarnista.  This is some pretty amazing company to be nominated with!  I adore all of the nominees - really, no one can make me laugh and feel less alone with my knitting fiasco's than the Yarn Harlot, I shudder to think of where we would not be today without Ravelry, I'm always anxiously waiting for the next issue of Knitty, and Yarnista just makes me want to knit and dYe! 

Any of the nominees will be worthy of this title and I can't wait to see who wins!  Good luck to everyone!


Happy Knitting!
Alisa



No comments:

Post a Comment